settled before the American Revolution by Islam Pittman from South Carolina,
Ashpole, Fairmont's original name, was attributed to the abundance of ash trees
in the nearby swamp. Its early economy was influenced by the lumber
resources and later, railroad expansion. The church was a strong influence
in the area with the Ashpole Presbyterian Church established in 1791.
Prior to the that, the church building had served as a school and meeting house
for all denominations until 1787 when the Methodists organized their own
church. Ashpole Institute was founded here by Rev. Stinson Ivey in the
became a stop on the Southeastern Railroad line in 1898 and the town's first
lots were sold. Incorporated as Union City in 1899 as a meeting point for
the railroad and the tobacco market, the town did not retain this name. It
was instead renamed Ashpole until 1907 when the current town name, Fairmont, was
growth of the town expanded in this century. One general store and a
blacksmith shop were noted in 1879, by 1930 30 general stores and a variety
of other enterprises had been established.
20th century growth has been associated with the tobacco industry. Today,
farming and the textile industry are expanding as part of the economic
development of this area.
has several medical facilities, specializing in general medical and dialysis.
and play golf at the Flag Tree of Fairmont Golf Club (www.flagtreegolf.com),
an 18 Hole Championship Course in excellent condition, located on HWY 130
visit our town website at: www.fairmontnc.com.
by the General Assembly in 1891, Lumber Bridge residents take pride in its
cultural and civic history. Believed to date from 1776, the original land
grant was part of the holdings of Levey Glass. The town's name comes from
the hand-hewn bridge over the Little Marsh Swamp.
Lumber Bridge Light Infantry Company, today housed in Parkton, was first
chartered in 1547 and remains the oldest North Carolina military company and the
second oldest guard in the nation still in active service. Known since the
Civil War as the "Scotch Tigers" to honor the fore bearers of this
area, the unit has also served in the Spanish-American War and World Wars I and
II. Many present Guard members are Vietnam and Desert-Storm
Veterans. The "Scotch Tigers" National Guard has frequently
assisted storm victims, most recently being deployed in response to Hurricane
town was also home to the first eastern North Carolina high school which was
accredited in 1907. Known for its strong college preparatory program, the
school was phased out in 1931 due to a declining town population.
May 20, 1909 Robesonian highlights the importance of truck farming of vegetables
and cotton to this area.
Bride experienced a loss of jobs and labor force that faced many communities
during the depression and war years of the 1930's and 40's. However, an
upbeat climate is evidenced toady by the new industries hat have located here.
original town of Lumberton began prior to the Revolutionary War as a settlement
on the 250-acre plantation owned by General John Willis. Known as the
founder of Lumberton, Willis in 1787 petitioned the state legislature for a
charter granting the town status as the county seat of the newly formed
Robeson County. The town's original lots were sold in 1787 and a building
owned by Willis was deeded to the county to be used as a courthouse.
Willis went on to represent Robeson County in both the State Senate and state
convention that approved the Federal Constitution in 1789.
1794 law called for the governance of the town by five directors with power of
taxation. Unobligated tax money was designed to support Lumberton Academy
which also served as a church.. This academy was first chartered in 1793 and
re-chartered at three other times.
to local historians, the main stage coaches from Elizabethtown and Fayetteville
met at Lumberton to use the toll bridge across Drowning Creek (Lumber
River). The river's high bluff was the launching point for thousands of
logs floated down the river to Georgetown. Thus, Lumberton has been a
center of economic development for over 210 years.
the latter half of the 19th century, railroads replaced waterways and wagon
roads as the main source of transporting local agriculture and timber
products. The Wilmington to Lumberton line was completed in 1860.
1884 publication notes the town, "one of the prettiest in the state,"
with a population of 1200, 20 stories, five churches, saw mills, turpentine distilleries,
and four hotels. Land could be purchased for as little as $5 per acre.
turn of the century saw continued railroad expansion and growth in the tobacco
and textile industries. Electric lights replaced kerosene street
lamps in 1904. The public library was organized in 1924. The
population grew to 4100 by 1930.
1945 the city of Lumberton was chartered by the North Carolina General Assembly.
In recent years, its residents have been active in refurbishing the historic
area and guiding its new industrial growth. Lumberton was among the
finalists for designation as an All-American City in 1995. Home today to a
diversified array of internationally owned companies, Lumberton takes
pride in its contributions to the cultural and economic history of this area.
visit our town website at:
first settlers in this area settled along the Shoe Hill Creek and Lumber River
in the late 1700s. Incorporated in 1874 as Shoe Hill (from the
Gaelic "S", the shape of the nearby creek), Maxton also held the names
of Tilden (after an 1876 Democratic candidate for US President) and Quhele
(Gaelic for "narrow part of a stream"). The name was
changed back to Shoe Hill in 1881 and finally to Maxton in 1887. Maxton
was chosen to honor the Scottish settlers to the area.
College was founded in 1841 by John Gilchrist, Jr. and was closed in 1878.
It was the first woman's college in the State to confer degrees. The
remaining building of the college has been moved to the grounds of Centre
of Angus W. McLean, Governor of North Carolina,
1924-1928. He went on to serve in the US Senate until his death in 1935.
McLean, founder of McLean Trucking and SeaLand Inc. He was named "Man
of the Century" by the International Maritime Hall of Fame.
Russell Micheaux, concert soloist and movie actress - her credits include: The
Betrayal (1948), God's Step Children (1938), Murder in Harlem (1935) and The
Broken Violin (1927).
facilities include Gilbert Patterson Memorial Public Library and Maxton Family Resources
Center. The Maxton Historical Society operates a museum of local history,
which is open on Sunday afternoons.
the past few years the Town had begun to revive itself. Strives are being
visit our Town website at: www.maxtonnc.org.
was settled about 1884 and named Piney Forest. A one-room schoolhouse,
Forest Academy, was renamed Parkton Institute in 1891. The name Parkton
may originate from the name of a railroad engineer who mapped the area adjacent
to the first tracks. Another theory id that the town was named for
the nearby parking area used by the railroad travelers. The depot,
originally on the west side of the tracks,
has been preserved by the
Historical Society, through an arrangement with the Atlantic Coastline
Railroad. Ten daily trains stopped in Parkton in the years preceding
the use of the automobile for mass transportation. Incorporated in 1901,
Parkton boasted only one general store at that time, McMillan and Hughes.
in 1789 and incorporated in in 1895, the town site of Pembroke was first called
Campbell's Mills. The town developed around businesses that served the
Lumbee Indian population that resided in this area prior to the American
Revolution. Earlier known as Scuffletown, the town's name derives from a
principle stockholder in the Atlantic Coastline Railroad, Pembroke
Jones. The town's corporate limits as surveyed and mapped, were based on
the intersection of two railway lines.
an 1885 law, twelve school districts were established providing elementary
education for Lumbees. In 1887 a state-funded school, the Croatan Normal
School, was begun with minimal funding to train teachers for the newly
1928 the school offered high school and normal school courses and in 1940
awarded its first four-year degrees. In 1941 the name of the school was
changed to Pembroke State College for Indians and shortened to Pembroke State College,
in 1949. University status was granted in 1969 and the University of North
Carolina at Pembroke became part of the 16 campus state university system, in
to Pembroke have long been associated with the cultural and political history of
the Lumbees. Pembroke University houses the Indian Cultural Center that
has engaged in research and preservation of the Native American culture of this area.
Visit the Pembroke Chamber of Commerce website at
Please visit our
town website at: www.pembrokenc.com.
in traditions traced from the Scottish Highlanders, Red Springs was founded in
1775 by Sailor Hector MacNeill on a tract granted by King George III and signed
by the North Carolina colonial governor, Josiah Martin. The town's name
originated from the red pigment found in the local mineral springs. The
medicinal value of the springs made Red Springs a center of population both as a
health resort and a hub for agricultural, industrial, and educational
activities. In 1852 Malcolm MacNeill, the grandson of Sailor Hector, built
a hotel which was replaced by the Townsend Hotel in 1891. The Lumber
Bridge military company took part in the festive July 4th opening of MacNeill's
in 1887, Red Springs has long been associated with education. In 1852 a
frame school building was built near the Hotel. For nearly 40 years it was
the site of religious meetings, dances, and school. The North Carolina
Military Academy opened in 1899 and attracted male students until 1908.
1896 Red Springs Seminary opened as a female seminary. It was renamed
Flora MacDonald College in 1914 to honor the Scottish heroine who had helped
Bonnie Prince Charlie escape the Stuart uprising in Scotland. Today the
building, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, houses Flora
MacDonald Academy, as K-12 college preparatory private school.
annual Flora MacDonald Highland Games and Gathering of Clans is held in
October. Dancing, pipe band competition, and traditional games attract many
visitors to the two day event.
soybean, tobacco, and lumber production have long been associated with the
economic progress of this community. Textiles and agribusiness form a sold
foundation for industrial expansion.
visit our town website at: www.redsprings.org.
railroad contributed to the establishment of Rowland. When the railway was
extended to this area from Florence, SC in 1888, the people from Plainview
established Rowland, naming it for Col. Alfred Rowland, a Confederate
officer. Its first general store was owned by R. S. Bond. A post
office opened in 1888 and the town was incorporated in 1889.
railway depot, built in 1890 and remodeled in 1925, now houses the McMurray-McKeller
Museum that includes period furnishings and displays of railroad and other
historic sites include the Ashpole Presbyterian Church, organized in 1796,
Providence A.M.E. Zion Methodist Church founded in 1885, and the grave site of
Robert Adair, a famous early resident. Dr. Adair, author, soldier, and
explorer, wrote History of American Indians, published in 1775.
its population of 72 in 1890, the town grew to 999 in 1940 and adopted the
motto, "The town of a thousand friends". It was home to the
county's first public library, established in 1903 by local residents each
donating one book to its collection, housed in the office of the local dentist,
Dr. C. H. Lennon.
as a farming community amid rich, productive farmland, Rowland's residents take
pride in the agricultural heritage.
visit our town website at: www.townofrowland.org.
St. Pauls dates back to
1799 when the St. Pauls Presbyterian Church was built on land donated by William
Davis. During the early 1800's only four building comprised the town: the
church, the post office, a livery stable, and Davis' home. The first
community and businesses grew up around the sixteen-mile post on the stage road
from Fayetteville to Lumberton, where coaches changed horses at Davis' livery
growth resulted in the establishment of an academy, Robeson Institute, in
1845. A 1925 paper reports that "It was a mixed school (gender), but
was taught by competent teachers." In 1885 the academy burned and was never
rebuilt. A new school, combined with the Masonic Lodge, was built in 1886.
textile industry flourished during the early part of this century with the
building of three cotton mills by 1920. The worldwide depression of the
30's contributed to the selling of the mills in 1943 to Burlington Mills Corporation.
The textile industry continues to be a leading contributor to the area's
industry contributed much to the history of St. Pauls. The Virginia and
Carolina Railroad, connecting St. Pauls with Lumberton and Elizabethtown and
branching with the Atlantic Coast Line at Hope Mills, was built 1907-1910 by the
Atlantic Improvement Company. This influenced the surveying and sale of
home lots and establishment of the business section next to the railway station.
town was incorporated in 1909, the same year of the town's first telephone
line. An electric light line came to St. Pauls in 1912. Both of
these local companies were bought in the 1920's by companies offering statewide
was described as a "rosebud of nature's beauty "with its three cotton
mills, flour mill, bank newspaper, lumber company, ice company, three doctors,
and three lawyers and "nice wide streets with plans to pave".
the area surrounding St. Pauls is known for its diversified farming and improving
Please visit our
town website at:
to check back as we add more towns and communities to this listing!